CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 07, 2008

Adventures in Church: Week 2

My good friend Catherine and I have started taking the boys to church on Sunday mornings at Blackshear Place Baptist. We need to start getting involved again in church; I loved it when I was little with the children's program and developing friendships. I want that for Little Brian as well as for him to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. As a bonus, the church is also where he and Carter will go to preschool so Catherine and I thought it would help acclimate them to their new environment before the school year starts (August 13 is D-day!). (We're trying to avoid breakdowns later by being proactive.) Well we started this adventure last Sunday. With Little Brian being in Puggles last year, I didn't think he would have a hard time in a new place as long as Carter was with him. Having a friend along is important. Catherine was concerned only as Carter had never stayed with anyone other than family. Needless to say Carter had to be pried from Catherine as he was very upset. Little Brian was ok as when we dropped them off, it was puppet time in the children's theater and Little Brian started singing with the class never giving me a backward glance. We waited a few minutes to see if Carter would calm down. I went to check on him and he had calmed down a little as he ate his snack. Catherine and I headed into the service and really enjoyed it. But when we went to pick up the boys, they were both crying for their "Mommies." Naturally we were concerned that Week 2 would be worse. We talked to the boys all week about how much fun church is and that they could play with their new friends. Plus Catherine packed support materials for Carter (his blanket, passy). I told Little Brian that if Carter was sad, it was ok and for Little Brian to hold Carter's hand and tell him "Mommy will be back."
Well Week 2, ladies and gentlemen, was a success! Carter went with his friend "Bear" and held Little Brian's hand. I also think that since Chad, Carter's dad, came he was a little more ok with going.




They went into the theater to watch VeggieTales and sat side by side. So we went to service and when we came back, they were fine! (It was a little confusing to find them as they had changed rooms and the room worker told us she didn't know where they were.) Now as I was in church, my first response had to be edited for content. I didn't think (Hey @#$%^, what do you mean you don't freakin know where my son is?) was appropriate church talk, but after a few minutes, we learned of the room change and picked up the kiddos.


Here's to Week 3 being an even greater success!

1 comments:

Melanie said...

Too funny! It could be the other way....I just don't know which is worse. Morgan rarely ever cares if I leave her. I am lucky to get a good-bye! Hopefully Week 3 will be even better and by August they will love getting to stay there!